Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Hijacked Holiday

In our world of conflict where wives, husbands, mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers want nothing more than their loved ones home from an unjust war, it is hardly fair to celebrate and indulge in the festivities that have become Christmas. In our world of economic turmoil where hard working people are losing their jobs and future employment is uncertain, it hardly makes sense to succumb to the consumerism that has become Christmas.


Now please don't think I'm going all Churchy on your asses. I am not. However, I am a Christian, and I believe that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus. It's my personal viewpoint, one which I believe I share with most Christians. Sadly, somewhere throughout the years, others have hijacked this Christian holiday and made it all about some non-existent fat guy in a red suit with a cherry nose. A Christmas carjacking of sorts.


I liken it to this. I am not Latino. However, I have Latin American friends. I have learned over the years about their heritage and culture. They celebrate Three Kings Day, another Christian holiday that celebrates the Biblical story of the three kings who followed the star of Bethlehem to bring gifts to the Christ child. Now, for grins and giggles, let's say I go to Puerto Rico, and bring all of my non-Latino family and friends, and commandeer Three Kings Day. Just tell them we're going to change the meaning of their holiday, and instead of their holiday being about Melchior, Caspar and Balthazar, it will now be about Spongebob, Patrick, and Squidward. Instead of eating traditional sweetbread, we will celebrate by eating clams with chocolate sauce.


Perhaps we as a society can deem 'Santa Claus Day' or maybe even dub it 'Greed Day' as an official holiday on day 365.25 of the Julian calendar. If 4/20 can be deemed a holiday for pot-smokers, I don't see why my idea can't work. What say you?


Whatever you do, keep ya hands off of August 10. It's my birthday, and most assuredly IS ALL about me.

13 comments:

t i m said...

Why not.

After all, Christians hijacked a pagan tradition & made it Christmas.

Just saying... ;)

Anonymous said...

I watched a documentary this holiday season about how Christmas traditions evolved. I wish I could retain stuff like that. Ha!! I was surprised, though, at how recent much of the hoopla actually is. I don't know what I thought. I guess I thought they started celebrating soon after Christ's death on the cross. You know, like a president's birthday. Pfft. I'm such a goob.

Anonymous said...

Almost everybody has a piece of Christmas. If there is a meaning to Christmas it's lost in all the blitz. You have to find you're own. I think mine rolled under the couch.
Paul

Shupe said...

OH Tim brought out a good point.
bwahahahaha!

He took the words outta me mouth!
But then American's have stolen so much anyway.
St. Christopher started Santa Claus I thought.........

Memory loss ....
dash it all!

LOVES YOU
hugs and a pinch on yer bum for not calling in so long!

dash deringer said...

You mean Santa's not Jesus' daddy...? I remember celebrating Three Kings Day... Before I was American and unfortunately my family has also abandoned all of our Latin traditions and the worse one of them all is that they don't speak Spanish to their children - well then, teach them Chinese - I tell them. The older I get the more I want to know about my families past - the good and the bad - the Latin and the Nordic... I hunger for it.
Luv Ya!!! great post!!!

Unknown said...

I think, so long as children are taught the traditional, christian meaning of Christmas, the rest of the festivities, commercial or otherwise, don't matter. People will find their own meaning. Pen.

Kelly said...

I was part of the Church of Christ religion growing up. We didn't celebrate Jesus' birth at Christmas so the holiday has always been about Santa and presents to me. It's only been since I changed religions that the spiritual aspect has come into it. I celebrate it both ways now. I guess there isn't a wrong way to do it though. :)

Anonymous said...

Don't you have greens (symbol of money) with your hoppin' john? We had salad instead of collards or cabbage since the guys didn't like the real greens.

The Gaelic Wife said...

I'm with you on this one. But how to take it back?

Oh, well. Now about my widget on my site that tracks you... I put it there to see if my stalker shows up. But if it bugs you that much, I can move it to the bottom.

Brett said...

Hi Heather, here you are.
Heres a copy of what I put on live spaces
Heyyyy, been a while. Everything is different .... (gotta be good, yes?) so its taking a while to find everyone.
So heres my best new years wishes to you and your's .....
NEW YEAR .... NEW HOPE

Anonymous said...

Good post. Way to get your point across! : ) I totally agree!

YELLOW said...

I believe in everything until proven it doesnt exist, which is funny when the most oimportant thing to a lot of people, god, is something I dont believe in. But thats for personal reasons and another story. I am guilty in my own indugence in the festive season. I emerse myself and my kids into a week of fun, excitement and trivial going ons.

I have turned a religious celebration around for my own gain. Like so many on the planet I guess. So guilty as charged.

By the way, liking your pics on the main page.

Unknown said...

Heather where are you? You've been missed! Come on back! Even if it's just for a moment.
hugs,
Jean